I’m Not Amazed (Making Labyrinths)

Every year, before Camp Grandmama and Grampy Campy, I paint a labyrinth on the driveway at the entrance to the door.

This is the maze from Camp in 2006. Our first maze. See how even the lines are?

Camp starts in four days, and I have a problem.

The weatherman has forecast rain every day until Monday.

Camp begins on Monday.

When will I make my maze?

Look at the little ducks (Charlie, R.J. and Ben) following Grampy, They were so little!! Grampy needed some calming down I guess. We sent him to the maze.

I love the little flower in the middle. See? Room for three campers!! (from 2007, I think).  The lines are still pretty straight, though.

This was our labyrinth from 2008. My sister, Karen, helped and then it rained!!!  Mr. H. and I had gone down to pick up the campers and Karen was still at the house with Mom.  Karen frantically tried to save it for me (something with garbage bags and blow dryers)  What a sweetie (and hey, it worked!)

The kids had to take turns leading the others through the maze. It’s not as easy as it looks.

One of our themes in 2009 was Chivalry Day, so a castle seemed appropriate.  Hey, why was I being so critical of my lines.  They look pretty good, right?

Cooper and Sophie came to Camp for the first time in October of last year.  Oh, this must be the maze I was thinking of.  A wavy lined pumpkin.

Yes. You are right. I DID put their jackets on and make them go out into the cold, cold day to “walk the maze”. They loved it. Really. (And they didn’t care that my lines weren’t perfect)

Introducing….For Camp Grandmama and Grampy Campy of 2011. The Big Cat Daddy of them all….. The Triple Spiral!!!   Now…let’s hope it doesn’t rain.   (It’s kind of hypnotizing, isn’t it?  Now, bark like a dog)

I better get it together, because there is only FOUR MORE DAYS UNTIL CAMP GRANDMAMA AND GRAMPY CAMPY!!

Category: Camp, Labyrinths, What will we do today?
Tags: , , ,

1. Amy | June 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Reply

ooh, I love the triple spiral. I want to do that one. The year I turned 50 and we all went to Alaska to stay at the Shrine of St. Therese, they had a labyrinth there, and we walked it every day for 9 days, offering prayers at each turning. Loved it.

• Jill H | June 10, 2011 at 6:21 am | Reply

It’s very calming, isn’t it? I know with the kids it was a great way to centre them a bit. I woke up this morning, and it is STILL raining. ugh. I have one more day before we head down to get the campers. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get this done…..

2. Sue Lobsiger | June 10, 2011 at 9:02 am | Reply

Woof Woof………..do I win????

• Jill H | June 10, 2011 at 9:39 am | Reply

You are getting verrrry sleepy….

3. Pingback: Camp Grandmama and Grampy Campy - July, 2012 - Day 1

4. Denise | December 12, 2013 at 8:21 am | Reply

Love these. I was searching for finger labyrinths and came across your site. I have used labyrinths with my finger (sitting nice and comfy and using a finger on the hand that I don’t use to write) as a prayer tool (great for centering my thoughts and emotions too) but I had not thought of making it life-size for kids.

It looks like a LOVELY experience. Wonderful to see the adaptations year after year…and that the children keep coming back to it.

By the way, I’ll just printed the triple circles labyrinth to follow it with my finger!

• jill | December 12, 2013 at 10:49 am | Reply

Oh, you’ve made me yearn for a labyrinth right now!!! (that doesn’t sound very calm……) It made me so happy to know that the kids really enjoyed the labyrinths and evidently enjoyed the experience. Last year, every time I tried to make one it rained so I finally had to give up. I’ll have to get a little creative for next year …. maybe indelible paint, I’m sure Mr. H. would LOVE that!!!

I spent some time on your site and really enjoyed visiting!! I must admit, I got caught up in a couple of your discussions and lost track of time. It sounds like you have a lovely family and that you truly enjoy your life with all of them.

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the labyrinth! Now I’m going to print the triple one too. I think a bit of centering is just what is needed!!

Have a great day..