Tom and Jerry (not the cat and mouse)

I do love Tom ‘n Jerry cartoons.

Do you remember when Jerry turned on all the faucets in the kitchen and then froze the floor with lines from the refrigerator? And then for a spot light he directed a light through different colors of Jello….?

Wait.  That wasn’t what I wanted to talk about.

Sorry.

Actually, I want to share my recipe for Tom and Jerry Punch.   What’s a Tom and Jerry, you ask?  Well, read on.  You are about to be introduced to both Tom and Jerry, and boy are you going to be happy about this new relationship.

Long before I ever enjoyed my first Tom and Jerry, I found (and purchased) a Tom and Jerry serving bowl and mugs.  At the time, I was only interested in the fact that it was red and appeared to be from the 50s.   (I bought a Kellogg’s cereal rack for the same reason).

In fact, I was so enthused (some call it obsessed) about my purchase, my loving family bought me a second set (thank you Ron and Pat)….

and then a third set (thank you Ralph and Trish).   Yes…the same set.

Three Tom and Jerry sets.  I needed to find out more about this drink.

I envisioned women in cinch-waist dresses with hostess aprons serving hot mugs of Tom and Jerry to men in plaid pants.  Perry Como or Bing Crosby would be on the hi-fi singing their iconic Christmas songs.

Evidently this drink has been around since the early 1800’s, but it really became popular in the days of Cocktail Parties.   Everyone had to have a Tom and Jerry set.  (I suppose the Tom and Jerry bowls were the equivalent of the avocado fondue pots of the 1970s).

Every year at Christmas, I would drag out all of my Tom and Jerry bowls and fill them with pinecones or ornaments or clove studded oranges.   I would sometimes serve egg nog from the bowls, but it just didn’t feel right. I needed to serve Tom and Jerry batter from these bowls.  I began my quest for the best Tom and Jerry batter I could find.

And so, dear friends, I will now share with you the recipe we have enjoyed these last few years.

First, I must insist.  If you are not 21 years of age, you may NOT consume this drink.

My drink, my rules.

Because I am on a roll, I need to tell you that this recipe contains raw eggs.  Pregnant women, young children and the elderly should not consume raw eggs.

One more thing.  This recipe only has three ingredients.  (Except for the alcohol.  We’ll get to that in a minute).  Pretty much everyone has eggs and confectioners’ sugar, so you need to step it up and buy whole nutmeg so you can freshly grate the nutmeg for this drink.

Really.  I insist.

Tom and Jerry

Tom and Jerry final

Ingredients

Tom and Jerry Punch

• 6 Large Eggs. Room temperature.
  • 3 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
  • 1/3 Cup Brandy or Cognac
  • 1/3 Cup Rum
  • Freshly grated nutmeg

Instructions

• Separate the eggs. Put the egg whites in a grease free large bowl and the egg yolks in another large bowl.
  • Using a hand-held mixer, beat the egg yokes and confectioners' sugar at high speed for about 2 minutes. They should be very thick and light colored.
  • Beat the egg whites in the other bowl at high speed until soft peaks form.
  • Using a spoon or spatula, scoop about 1/3 of the egg whites and place on yolk mixture.
  • Lightly fold in the egg white mixture until blended.
  • Pour this mixture into your Tom and Jerry bowl. (If you don't have a Tom and Jerry bowl, use a soup tureen or any other decorative bowl).
  • Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
  • (Allow some of the whites to stay fluffy).
  • Little clouds of goodness....

To serve as a punch:

• Gently stir 1/3 cup of brandy and 1/3 cup of rum into the batter.
  • Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg over the top.

For each serving:

• Place a HEAPING spoonful of egg batter into a warm mug.
  • You'll notice I used a ladle....I love this stuff.
  • Stir in boiling hot water to just below the rim of the mug. (Some people prefer hot milk, it's a little rich for my blood, but feel free to use the milk if you wish).
  • Stir gently.
  • Sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve hot.
  • Oh my. I think I'm melting....
  • If you wish, you can make the batter (without the brandy and rum) ahead of time. It can be kept in the refrigerator for a week or it can be frozen. Just be sure it is room temperature before you stir it into your mug, or your drink will be tepid. To make individual drinks, just stir in the batter, add about 1/3 Tbsp. each of the brandy and rum, add boiling water to the rim, stir and grate fresh nutmeg on top.

Oh, by the way.  In the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that our local bakery sells their own brand of Tom and Jerry batter mix.  I must also tell you that we buy and use this mix.  It’s good.  It’s not as good as this recipe, but it’s good.  There.  Now I feel better.

Category: Beverages, Christmas, Cook, Holidays and Entertaining, Winter
Tags: , , , ,

1. Amber at Awake at the Whisk | December 21, 2011 at 10:15 am | Reply

I grew up drinking this! Good memories. My parents would make it and serve us kids a non-alcoholic version with hot water. High time I tried the adult version!

• jill | December 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Reply

Enjoy!!! We’ll be sure to toast you…

2. Asmita | December 22, 2011 at 9:33 am | Reply

I would love to try this drink!

• jill | December 22, 2011 at 10:21 am | Reply

Once you do, you can never go back ;-)

3. sharon | December 6, 2012 at 10:20 am | Reply

I’am so happy i found this … lived in mn 25 yrs and had this every yr. but moved back to my home town of fairmont w.v. now i know its only sold in stores up north.

• jill | December 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply

I’m happy you found this as well. I know what you mean, though. The Northern states are great fans and you can find the batter in stores all over, but most other states haven’t even heard of it!! Love your idea of stirring with cinnamon sticks. I will most certainly add that to our ritual. Enjoy your batter!! Merry Christmas

4. sharon | December 6, 2012 at 10:23 am | Reply

p.s. i used cimmonnion sticks to flavor and stir..tom and jerry should spread the happiness and ship some to fairmont w.v. lol

5. PapaRoy | December 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Reply

My parents were from MN. and served Tom and Jerry each year. As a kid I received the non alcohol drink and loved it. As and adult I, of course, add the brandy. My kids, now grown, drink it both ways.
    The reciepe I use is from MN. and on a 3×5 index card, probably 65 – 70 years old.

• jill | December 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Reply

Oh, that makes me feel so good. I grew up in Michigan and we had Tom ‘n Jerry when I was young (yep, the non-alcoholic version). When I moved to Wisconsin, I was so happy to find that different stores up here have their own batter. I love making my own, but have to admit to picking up batter as well!!! I hope you have a chance to fill a mug or two with some Tom ‘n Jerry. If so, raise a toast (I’ll do the same). Thanks for stopping by!!

6. Jan Ellison | October 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Reply

Holidays, when I was a kid, didn’t start until my Grandma and Grandpa arrived from Dillon, Montana to Great Falls. Only Grandpa could make the Tom & Jerry batter. He would spend at least two hours mixing the mixture…ran through more than one motor on the old Sunbeam! Your recipe is almost exactly like his except he used Cream of Tatar in the whites. Thanks for posting this!

• jill | October 20, 2013 at 6:34 am | Reply

What a wonderful memory! I love the tradition and the love that surrounds recipes like Tom ‘n Jerry. It’s getting colder here in Wisconsin, so it’s time to begin thinking about tha wonderful steamy concoction. I love the idea of cream of tarter, so will try that this year if you don’t mind. Thanks for sharing your memories!

7. Brenda | November 19, 2013 at 6:33 am | Reply

What else can you use besides water for non alcoholic? I also grew up in MN and every year Mom made it, I have a great recipe which everyone asks me to make every year but this one looks easier.

• jill | November 19, 2013 at 9:54 am | Reply

Use milk instead of water (actually, that’s a better idea for the nonalcoholic version at all times, I think). Enjoy! Keep warm and enjoy the winter (so much easier to enjoy with a Tom ‘n Jerry, don’t you think?)

8. Al | November 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Reply

Great Recipe just like my Dad used to make – Our Thanksgiving Tradition – Thanks for sharing with us

• jill | November 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Reply

You are so very welcome. Please be sure to give a toast to your Dad (and all the Dads who excelled in making Tom ‘n Jerry). Have a great Thanksgiving!