Home Made Sprinkles for St. Patrick’s Day

I made home-made sprinkles yesterday.

But, I’m not crazy.

I didn’t have any green sprinkles in my cupboard.

I had pink pigs, brown cows and yellow flowers, but no green sprinkles.

As you can see, I’m not crazy.

The closest store to our house is several miles away and I was feeling particularly lazy, thought I might try to make my own sprinkles.  I had run across a post by www.bravetart.com some time ago, so headed over there to see if this sprinkle thing was even possible with the ingredients I had in my pantry.

You can clearly see that I’m not crazy.

I needed green sprinkles and I didn’t have any green sprinkles.

…and I needed the green sprinkles for my Leprechaun Trap….

(Okay, maybe I’m a little quirky).

But I’m not crazy…..

Just in case I’m a little crazy and just in case you are a little crazy too, you just might want to make your own sprinkles, too!!

You don’t really need many ingredients to make home-made sprinkles.

I must admit I was giddy with excitement when I discovered I had a multi tip decorator tip (the multi tip is standing tall next to the little mound of salt).

Home Made Sprinkles

Sprinkles featured

Ingredients

• 8 oz Confectioners' Sugar
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (I added 1/8 tsp of Peppermint extract for green)
  • 1 Egg White
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • Assorted Food coloring
  • Piping bags (one for each color)
  • 1 multi opening tip or plain decorating tip
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 24 Hours

Instructions

• Mix the sugar, egg white, vanilla and salt together until a heavy paste forms.
  • Divide the paste into as many portions as you have colors, tinting each batch with the color of your choice.
  • Put the sprinkle dough into a piping bag fitted with the multi tip or plain tip.
  • On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, pipe out long, thin lines making sure the lines do not touch each other.
  • Repeat with each of the remaining colors.
  • Allow to dry for 24 hours.
  • After the sprinkles have dried, break/chop the dried lines into sprinkles.
  • I found it was easier to put the dried lines of sprinkles into a bowl. Then I could just use a spoon (fingers work even better) to break them into smaller pieces.
  • Store in an airtight container.

See?  All ready for St. Patrick’s Day.

Clearly, I’m not crazy.

Category: Candy, Cook, Create, Desserts, Holidays and Entertaining, Other Treats, St. Patrick's Day
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. muffinka | March 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply

I love this!
    I’m gonna make it tommorow!
    For a few days you will see this on my blog, thanks!

• jill | March 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Reply

Enjoy!!! I have to say, they are darned good to eat, too. I used some for a Leprechaun trap, but have to admit I made hundreds more than I needed. You will really enjoy breaking them into small pieces Like popping bubble wrap. :-)

• jill | March 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Reply

Okay, I just jumped over to your site. The chocolate draped doughnuts!!! Amazing. And…I think I’m in love with the chocolate, peanut orange butter. I’ll visit often. (My son in law is Polish, so I’ll ask him for any help translation…although you really don’t need it…)

2. Mine Karakus | March 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Reply

Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea.

• jill | March 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply

Very welcome. It was fun (although my hand cramped after a bit) but I will be doing it again!!! I’ll pop over to visit in a minute.

3. Shannon | March 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Reply

I love the little jars you have these in too! Where did you get them?

• jill | March 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Reply

Seriously. Aren’t they cute? I looked for my order, but can’t find it (it was some months ago). You might be able to find them at Michales, or Joannes or Wal-mart in their wedding favor section, but in case you can’t find them, here are a couple of links I found:

link to theweddingfavorbar.com

link to eventblossom.com?

• Lynda | March 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply

Hi there. The Container Store and IKEA also sells these as spice jars. My pantry is fill with them :) btw Jill, I just came across your blog and love it!!!!

• jill | March 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Reply

Oh thank you for the tips…I’m afraid of both stores (I buy waaay too much), but a great tip for the candy jars. Thank you on your comment as well. I’m having a lot of fun with it!! (and with the grand-kids…)

4. Nish | March 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Reply

So beautiful! I’m going to be making some this week :) Just a question though, how long do they last for?

• jill | March 12, 2012 at 9:22 am | Reply

Oh, I’m so glad you are making some. I have to admit, they were more fun to make than I thought (now I just need to make some cupcakes). I’m not sure how long they last as this is my first batch. I know when I made candy dots (with similar ingredients) they lasted for at least 2 months (after 2 months, they were all consumed). Good luck!! (BTW, I “visited” your site and plan to come by often. Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam? I’m in love!!)

5. Declansmom | March 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply

You are my hero! I love sprinkles and you just made my day by telling me I can make them myself. THANK YOU!

• jill | March 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Reply

Oh, have fun!!! I have to say, it was more fun than I thought…Let me know how it goes (you can post pics on the Whatwillwedotoday Fan page in Facebook!! good luck

6. Pingback: How to Bait a Leprechaun Trap - Tiny Doughnuts!

7. mrsmaliaand | March 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Reply

I am going to have to say when I saw this on pinterest I thought ok these DIYers have gotten out of hand. then I clicked the link just so I could prove to myself that this was the craziest thing I had ever seen BUT I have to admit I am thinking about doing this myself now that I read it and have seen how easy it is. My hubby is sure I am crazy for even attempting it but I just have to. Thanks for making me crazy too. :)

• jill | March 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Reply

Oh, good. I’m glad you are going to join the crazy train.. Seriously, though, it is sooooo easy!!! and I thought it was a lot of fun. BTW, they taste awesome! Seriously, you’ll make dozens. Be sure to share any pics you might take!!!

8. andrea | March 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Reply

thanks for this. my daughter is allergic to artificial dyes. but like all 5 year olds, she loves sprinkles. i have some very expensive natural dyes i bought, but being able to make sprinkles is awesome! thanks again.

• jill | March 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Reply

Oh, that makes me so happy!! I’m glad she will have sprinkles in her life!!! (what a good Mom you are). Enjoy

9. Kelley Maddox | March 15, 2012 at 6:44 am | Reply

I can not wait to make these. My son is on a gluten free diet, and sometimes gluten-free cookie decorations are hard to find, and this will work perfectly!

• jill | March 15, 2012 at 9:42 am | Reply

I am so glad to hear this will help!!! My niece is also on gluten free diet, so she is tickled pink (maybe I should make some pink sprinkles for her….)

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by

10. Liza | March 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply

Just perfect!! I want to try them right now but I don’t have your tip or any single small one.
    But perfect , just perfect!! Thanks sooo much!!

• jill | March 16, 2012 at 6:51 am | Reply

Liza, hope you can find some tips. I have to admit I was surprised I had the multi-tip (nice surprise). It must have been part of a set. Love that I was finally able to use it. I suppose you could use a parchment cone or even a zip lock bag with hole in it, but I know my hand got really tired and was so happy I had the 5 hole tip…..Hope you give it a go. Be sure to share your success!!

11. Roxy | March 16, 2012 at 2:24 am | Reply

hi looks aawesome
    but 1 thing im in australia is confection sugar the same as icing sugar dont know the ingredient translation but will give it a go anyway

• jill | March 16, 2012 at 6:56 am | Reply

Roxy, I hope you do give it a go and be sure to share. I looked it up and it appears as though icing sugar and confectioners’ sugar are the same. But just in case, you can make confectioners’ sugar by putting regular sugar in a blender (not plastic as it scratches the sides) and pulsing it. Evidently, some people also add 1 tbsp of cornstarch per 1 cup of sugar. Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun sprinkling!!

12. Jen | March 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Reply

It would be crazy to ever go back to the store and buy them. I will try this recipe as soon as possible. Maybe that makes me a bit crazy too :-)

• jill | March 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Reply

Jen. Let me know how it goes with your sprinkles ( better yet, pictures on FB
      BTW. Love your scones. Great site! I’ll be back soon!

13. Sherri @ The Kitchen Prescription | March 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Reply

This was such a neat find. Could have used it yesterday, but Easter is just round the corner. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Found this on Pinterest!

• jill | March 19, 2012 at 9:02 am | Reply

Thanks Sherri. You are right, Easter colors will be beautiful! BTW loved the chicken pie on your site. Can’t wait to try. Thanks for stopping by!

14. Miss Overballe | March 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Reply

Brilliant! I have to try this :)

• jill | March 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply

I think you’ll enjoy!! BTW, hopped over to your site. Lovely recipes, but I have to admit the cookie stuffed with Oreo may be my favorite!!! Have a great day!

15. karyn | April 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Reply

These are fabulous! JUST what I needed! Thanks so much for posting!!

• jill | April 5, 2012 at 9:20 am | Reply

You are very welcome. I hope you have fun making some sprinkles!!! Easter colors? LEt me know how it goes.

16. Debbie | September 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Reply

What a great solution for using my left over RI! I am going to try it next time! Thank you!

• jill | September 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Reply

Do let us know how it goes!!!

17. Karen | April 18, 2013 at 7:40 am | Reply

Great post! Thanks for this. I was just wondering a few days ago how to do this since I couldn’t get the colors I wanted. I couldn’t figure out how to do it, but how easy!

• jill | April 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Reply

I know what you mean. It’s rather seductive. Now I can do any color!! Bwahahahaha

18. Supermom | April 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Reply

Not crazy at all!! hehehe I’m so thankful for this post! I agree with Debbie, no more wasted left-over Royal Icing.

• jill | April 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Reply

So nice to let me think I’m not crazy….but…..I am really happy you found it useful. Be sure to share pics with Facebook Fans on Whatwillwedotoday!!! Have a great day

19. Ashley | September 8, 2013 at 10:48 am | Reply

I love this! Is that a Wilton tip? What number is it?

• jill | September 9, 2013 at 10:10 am | Reply

Yes, Ashley, it is Wilton. The number is 134….now wouldn’t it be great if they made one with ten openings?!! Whoop Whoop!! If you make some, be sure to share (probably best on Facebook – see link) as you can attach Pictures!!!! Have fun

20. Saeeda | February 22, 2014 at 11:53 pm | Reply

Thank you ever so much for sharing, this is giving God bless you!

• jill | February 23, 2014 at 7:54 am | Reply

You are very welcome. Have fun with the sprinkles!!!

Have a great day!

Jill

21. Susan | April 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Reply

How long is the shelf life of the homemade sprinkles?
    Thanks

• jill | April 5, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Reply

Well, I hesitate to say much longer than a few weeks. I worry about anything made with egg whites. If you make them with meringue powder, then they will last for at least 6 months. If you decide to make the meringue powder variety, you would just substitute 2 tsp meringue powder and 2 Tbsp water for 1 egg white. Good luck!! I hope you are making something fun for spring!!

Have a great day..Jill

22. Iryna B. | September 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Reply

this is so creative and smart! Thank you for sharing! I am not crazy either, but will make them too, could be a fun and kid friendly project!!! ;-)
    Pinned

• jill | September 22, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply

Oh, I hope you do try this with the kids. Be prepared for a lot of sprinkle mouths!!! Have fun and thanks for stopping by!