How to Bait a Leprechaun Trap? – With tiny doughnuts!

St. Patrick’s Day will soon be here, and Leprechauns will be running amuck.

I have it on good authority (my grand-kids) that these little Irish miscreants will soon be playing tricks and creating all kinds of mischief around the house.    They have been known to turn water in the toilet green, leave footprints around the house and re-arrange furniture.  You know…Leprechaun stuff.

The way to stop them, I’m told, is to build a Leprechaun Trap.   If you lure a Leprechaun to the trap, you just might catch him (or her).  If you do catch a Leprechaun, their tricks will most certainly stop.  More importantly (from my perspective, at least) is the Pot of Gold you get if you catch a Leprechaun.

I would really like a Pot of Gold.

So I’m going to trap a Leprechaun.

The trick is using the right bait.  The best bait is gold, but since I don’t have any gold…and I do have doughnuts….

Doughnuts it is.

Of course, you need to have doughnuts small enough to entice our little friends.

It’s as easy as Cheerios, icing and sprinkles (yes, the sprinkles I made over the weekend).

It can be a little messy, but I willingly (and giddily) spent hours making different kinds of tiny donuts.

I made quite a selection.

Once you make the donuts, you just need to hide a few in the middle of a stack of donuts

and laying a trail of “teaser” donuts to lead them to the trap.

Easy shmeezy.

I have to admit.  Making the doughnuts was tons of fun.  If you have little people in your house (not Leprechauns), they will LOVE making the doughnuts.  In fact, you may have noticed that I made and filled doughnut boxes and they never even appear in the trap.

Blame it on the doughnuts!!

You may want to make a few boxes ahead of time so the kids can fill them up with tiny little doughnuts.

I’m sharing this project a little ahead of St. Patrick’s Day so you have a chance to make the trap and the doughnuts for yourself.  Here is a pdf file that includes instructions for the doughnuts and the trap as well as templates for the boxes and the flags.

Click below to download your own pdf file

How to Make a Leprechaun Trap

Good luck, have fun and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!.

Oh, if you happen to get a pot of gold…well….a little kick-back would be most appreciated.

Category: Cook, Cookin' with the kids, Desserts, Holidays and Entertaining, Other Treats, St. Patrick's Day
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Jan | March 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Reply

This is way too cute! I had to share this with my daughter–especially as my granddaughter, Caitlin, will turn four on St. Paddy’s Day! This will only add to the fun!!

• jill | March 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Reply

Oh, good Jan!! I’m so glad you are going to make these. You will really enjoy! I am taking a box of Cheerios and some candy-melts down to my daughter’s this weekend for the same reason. I think the kids will have a blast. And hey, maybe we’ll get a Leprechaun or two!!! I’ll let you know!

2. Cathy | March 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Reply

The kids will be here for a soccer tournament. I just have to try and make the donut boxes. They are so precious.
    And I have green sprinkles. Wouldn’t travel to Palm Desert without them. Love!!!

• jill | March 13, 2012 at 8:23 am | Reply

Oh, I’m so glad they will be there. Of course, Shannon will be brilliant (it’s Shannon playing, right?) If not, well then Evan will be brilliant!!! The kids will have so much fun making the donuts, and you’re right..making the donut boxes will be very inspiring for them. Love you

3. Sarah@SarahCupcake | March 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Reply

This has to be the cutest thing I’ve seen for Saint Patrick’s Day so far. Sooo cute! Check out my white chocolate thin mint recipe for Saint Patty’s Day if you want. :)

• jill | March 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Reply

Oh my goodness. I did check out your site and your recipe!!! Actually, love your entire site….so I’ll be visiting often. Love the cookies and plan to make them!!! Thanks for stopping by!! Oh, and be sure to make some tiny donuts. They really were fun to make!!

4. Jess | March 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply

Where can I get the pattern/printable to those CUTE donut boxes?!

• jill | March 14, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply

Jess, scroll down the post and you will find a pdf file with a template for the boxes (and flags) Enjoy!!

5. Michelle | March 16, 2012 at 12:25 am | Reply

What a cleaver idea. This is great.

• jill | March 16, 2012 at 6:52 am | Reply

Thanks Michelle. I’ve forwarded your site to my niece (and spending some time there myself). She needs to eat gluten free so will be so happy to see your blog! Thanks for stopping by. If you make sprinkles, be sure to share!!

6. Pingback: Irish Love- Day 16 |

7. Pingback: » small bites A Bit of Sweet and Color

8. Pingback: Baby Birds Nest Pretzels - Cooking Classy

9. Julie | March 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Reply

I love this idea and the boxes are adorable! I just cant seem to find the file for the template for the boxes?!

• jill | March 13, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Reply

Ugh, I know. It’s hard to find the file. I need to find a way to make that easier. If you click on the blue (or it might look purple) How To Make A Leprechaun Trap, it will take you to another page that looks…well…crazy (my opinion), but if you click on the blue (or purple) How to Make a Leprechaun Trap once again (it’s in the upper left hand part of the page) you will get the pdf. Now that I’ve told you, though, I am going to email the file to your email address… Sorry for the confusion. Let me know how it goes!!

have a great day!

10. Pingback: Treats for the Elves | What Will We Do Today?

11. Pingback: Leprechaun Doughnut Box Redux | What Will We Do Today?