Home Sweet Garden Home

Once upon a time, two little fairies flew across the countryside, looking for a place to live.

They had never lived in a home, but thought it was about time to find a little place in the country.

“Look”, said the Fairy with a voice like a bell, “I think this might be a great place to build a summer home”.

“Let’s go check it out”, said the Fairy with flickering wings.

And so, our story begins….

*Please note, no Fairies were harmed in the making of this story.  All renditions have been carefully drawn by Grandchildren, Nieces, Nephews and other wonderful children who have visited over the past several years.

As you may know, Mr. H. and I have enjoyed our little Fairy house guests and were happy to welcome some new Fairy friends.

We already had the perfect place to set up their new home and (mostly) had all the ingredients to make many of the items needed by the Fairies in their new digs.

These cold boxes were made from old windows.

We use them to harden plants in the spring (and to hold all the extra plants I grow or buy that I cannot bear to throw away).

We didn’t need to do much to prepare the boxes for habitation.

We already had holes for drainage.

We lined the bottom of the box with some gutter filters.

(By the way, don’t tell Mr. H., but when I went to the hardware store to buy another filter for the other box, I found out they cost $16 each!!  I think we will use packing popcorn next time).

To keep the soil from falling through, we also lined the box with landscape fabric.  You do understand, don’t you, that by “we” I mean Mr. H.?

Thank you Mr. H.

This box sits on our black top driveway and really bakes in the afternoon.  We hedged our bets by lining the box with watering mats and then adding soil moist granules to the soil.

We still have to water every day.

We added the soil…

…and some heat tolerant plants.

Seriously, you can put this Fairy Garden together with just a few “found” objects.  (As you may have guessed, “found” is a loose term in this house).

I had a bird house that hadn’t been painted yet (shocking, I know).  Mr. H. knocked off the top and added a door. I painted the birdhouse brown and then added some stones with my handy-dandy glue gun.  Be sure to paint the inside brown or black.  My neighbor, Vicky, was completely mesmerized by the interior of the cottage.  Spooky, but you want to go in…..

I then added moss and dried leaves.  $5.99 at Hobby Lobby (Cooper generally has a smile on his face.  I think he’s worried that his Grandmama has flipped.  I mean, who buys moss and dried leaves?)

The finished product was a perfect size for two traveling Fairies.  (In case you are wondering, this holds up well in rain).

For the walkway, I used flat stones I just happened to find in some of our borders (oh, if you happen to run into Mr. H., I “found” these stones.  Somewhere else.  Not in Mr. H.’s borders.  I would never do that.  Really).

I glued clear glitter to the tops of the stones (I used Mod Podge.  I use Mod Podge for almost everything, unless I use my glue gun.  See the sparkle?  Probably not.  It’s just so hard to capture sparkle on a camera.  But, believe me, it’s sparkly.  Very sparkly).

I decided that the Fairies might want to raise bees.   The bee skeps were made with hemp, a small pot (or thimble) and Krazy Glue.

I wrapped hemp around a small pot.  (I used a thimble for the smaller bee skip).  Oh, and I used Krazy Glue to keep the hemp together.  So, let’s review.  If I can’t use a glue gun or Mod Podge, then I use Krazy Glue (or Super Glue or Gorilla Glue).

I haven’t seen any bees yet, but it’s just a matter of time.

The rake was made from the twigs from our Harry Lauder Walking Stick tree.  Any twigs will do, but if you happen to have a Harry Lauder Walking Stick, you will most definitely want to make your rake from the crookery twigs.

A glue gun and twine hold the rake together.

I happened to have a bag full of these wood shingles.  I got them from Michaels a couple of years ago.  I can’t remember why I got them, but look how useful they are now!!

I used some wood shingles and my trusty glue gun to fashion a bird-house.

Before I put it all together, I used a hole punch to make an entrance for the little birdies.
(Yes, I could have used a wood block, but then where would the birds go)?

I made a little perch out of a piece of wooden skewer and then attached the whole thing to the rest of the skewer (I am very conscientious).

Once the house was secure, I was able to give it a paint job in readiness for some tiny little birdies to take roost.

All self-respecting gardens have gazing balls.

Marbles glued to long golf tees are perfect Gazing Balls!

A small juniper will provide shade for the garden.  I cozied up a twig next to the tree for a swing.

Yet another wood shingle provided the base of the swing.

A smaller hole punch allowed me to thread some twine through the base of the swing.   I had forgotten to paint the swing, so pulled the twine out of the holes, painted the swing a nice redwood color and then re-threaded the twine (a little glue or Mod Podge on the ends will assist in threading through the holes).

I added some vines from a wreath I happened to have (really, why do I have all this stuff?)

Some small flowers helped to decorate the perfect perch for little Fairies.

Hemp provided the base for a bird’s nest.   I just began to roll the hemp into the shape of a nest, using Krazy Glue to keep the strands together.

Moss and twigs were used to “feather” the next.  A tweezer helped with this delicate operation.

All ready for some eggs.

With a sea shell, a door stop and some small decorate beads (thank you, Martha Stewart. Thank you), I was able to make a little bird bath.

The sea shell needed a little oomph, so some Mod Podge and beads helped to glam up the situation.

I thought the design of the door stop I found (really, I found it.  It was just sitting there, waiting for me to use it.  Honest.  And, anyway, Mr. H. really wasn’t using it) was perfect for the base.  A little Mod Podge and decorative beads punched it up a bit.

I glued the top to the base and voila!!

I thought a bird bath would be cute for the little birdies taking up residence in the nest and bird house.

Miranda (my darling Niece) made this picture some years ago, but I thought it was a fitting welcome for our new Garden Fairies.

The Fairies (now known as Bell and Flicker) are very happy.

*Check in later this week for more Fairy Garden accessories.  I have 26 people coming for Memorial Day.  Naturally, I am going to make more Fairy things……

Category: Behind the Fairy Doors, Camp, Don't Judge Me..., Fairies, Slider
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Cindy | May 22, 2012 at 7:58 am | Reply

Love it Love it Love it!!!!! I wish I had all those accessories around my house so I could “find” them. So cute Jilly!!!! :)

2. Bill F | May 22, 2012 at 10:05 am | Reply

These are fantastic ideas and I really appreciate the detailed instructions and photos to guide us all along. You have a lot of patience and apparently niimble hands, too!

• jill | May 22, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply

You are welcome. I really am hoping the fairies will help me with my new projects!!

3. MrsF | May 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply

omg so incredibly cute and what detailed work! amazing.

• jill | May 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Reply

Those fairies are pretty clever!!! Thanks for the kind words!!

4. Miranda souder | May 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply

Oh my gosh I dont even remember making that picture of the rainbow. I Am watching so you think you can dance as I type this. Love you and hope to see you soon! :D

5. Pingback: Fairy Windchimes | What Will We Do Today?

6. Pingback: Farm Town for the Fairies | What Will We Do Today?

7. toph | October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Reply

so cute i want to make 1!

• jill | October 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Reply

If you do make it, be sure to share!!!

8. Lisa | February 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Reply

I’d like to make a fairy garden in a container that can be used inside or out. Do you have a suggestion of something to use that would allow for drainage but not make a mess if it comes out inside the house also be easily carried and not weight to much? Would you suggest keeping the plants in small containers or not? Thanks for your help

• jill | February 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Reply

I do hope you take this on. I do think you are right to think of put the plants in small containers. You could use a shallow plastic box, poke holes in the bottom and sit it in another plastic box. Between your container plants you could have stone or soil … YOu might also use an old drawer (again with separate containers) That might look very sweet and rustic. Of course, you could use a large planter. They make them so light now with the new porous materials. Really any shallow container would work, you would just need a false bottom so water wouldn’t pool. If I think of anything else I’ll pass it along. Good luck!! Do let us know what you decide to do…

9. seth hogan | March 6, 2013 at 11:39 am | Reply

Hi! I was wondering if you could do a fairy garden pond or stream type tutorial?

• jill | March 6, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply

Good Idea! I’m working on a marble maze right now (don’t ask…I think i need a life..) but now that you have me thinking of fairy gardens I’ll plan on that next!!

10. Joe Ann | April 28, 2013 at 8:21 am | Reply

I just love this. I have been making some fairy gardens. I really love doing this. All the stuff you’ve done is truly amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• jill | April 28, 2013 at 9:11 am | Reply

I’d love to see your gardens. It’s been a long winter up here so we are just now breaking out the Fairy stuff for this year. I have a few new ideas, so be sure to check in. In fact, I’ll be making purple martin houses next…Have fun!! and thanks

11. Renee Copley | May 20, 2013 at 10:29 am | Reply

Wonderful story. Just getting fairy fixated and I relate very well to your story. Thanks for your posting.

• jill | May 20, 2013 at 10:36 am | Reply

Those little fairies are pretty addicting aren’t they? Have fun and have a nice day…

12. Lisa B | August 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Reply

I love your fairy stuff! Thank you for sharing your ideas. I’ve been wanting to make a stone cottage but didn’t know where to start. I can’t wait to get started, thanks again!

• jill | August 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Reply

Oh, I’m so glad you enjoyed!! Do be sure to share your house when you’re done. You can join my facebook page and share pics!! Have fun!

13. Caddie | October 30, 2013 at 1:09 am | Reply

Ah no way! This is too beautiful for words! I love everything!!

• jill | October 30, 2013 at 5:41 am | Reply

Oh, thank you so much. I will pass your kind words to the fairies. They’ve moved back inside for the winter, but I know they will be out in the garden again next spring…which seems so very far away!! Have a great day! Jill

14. jeannette | December 14, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Reply

To make bees for your bee hive simply paint a couple of northern beans and glue some wings on made from scrap screen.

• jill | December 15, 2013 at 7:09 am | Reply

What a great idea!! We had just been waiting for some fairy bees. I think you’re idea might be more productive! Have a great day, and thanks again for the tip….

15. Debbie | January 16, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Reply

Love your work! I made my Granddaughter several fairy houses for a village, and you have given me some very cute ideals. Can’t wait to add little treats for her. Hobby lobby just got in a new series of houses, and odds in ends for fairies in their spring section. After seeing yours I’ll be using them. Thanks

• jill | January 17, 2014 at 7:23 am | Reply

Thanks so much for your kind comments!! What a good Grandma you are. I would love to see your fairy houses. You can put pictures on our Facebook page (click the link in the upper right hand corner or go to Facebook and type in what will we do today). Oh, and thanks for the tips about Hobby Lobby. I have noticed a lot of stores are now getting into the fairy garden action and that just makes the whole fairy garden project so much more fun. Have a great day!! Jill

16. April | April 28, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Reply

Wow! You’ve got some great ideas and it’s wonderful your Mr. H is so accommodating to your crafiness even if he isn’t aware of it. I liked your pictures, your comments and the way you even explained things. Thanks for sharing and I look forwarding to using some of your ideas in my own miniature garden.

• jill | April 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Reply

Thank you. Yes, I am very lucky Mr. H. has joined me in my little world!! Do share your garden with us!! Have a great day!

17. JUDE | July 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Reply

very cute I need to make a fairy garden for my grandkids or myself lol I have a real grape vine growing I wonder if the curlies off of it would work? Already started to trim dead branches to make a door or glue it on a birdhouse.. Thanks for the inspiration

• jill | July 31, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Reply

Grandkids are a great excuse to make a lot of things we might not normally have an excuse to make!!! Oh, I think the grape vine would be great!! What a treat that you have a grape vine!! Jealous! Have fun and thanks for dropping by!!