How to Make a Little Bitty Button Book

It’s only four days before Camp Grandmama and Grampy Campy for the boys. We have so many fun things planned for Camp, and I’m quite sure I’ll be ready when the boys hit the door and ask “What will we do today?” Quite sure.

Having said that, I decided it would be a good use of my time to design tiny little button books.   Mind you, these button books have nothing to do with the Camp coming up in four days.   I just couldn’t help myself.

I had seen some darling little button books on Pinterest …. (actually I only saw one button book on Pinterest, but I immediately decided there should be several books).   If you want to see the original, head over to Bonkers About Buttons.   She has highlighted the 1″ button books created by Designer and Illustrator, Stephanie Davidson.

Our August Camp will feature Button Day, so I have been curating all things button for the last year.  So, really, it isn’t too surprising that I decided to make a Button Book.

Timing, however, just might not be my strong suit.

Before you judge, take a look. Seriously, aren’t these cute?

If you want to make a button book or two or yourself or some little person in your life, it’s pretty darned easy.  I’ve attached a pdf with templates for a button story (Betty Button is loosely based on Betty Hutton…very loosely…really just the name…), a coloring book I just HAD to include and a button alphabet that woke me at 2:30 a.m. waiting to be created.

Click here to download the pdf:  Button Book pdf

Please note.  Friend Ann Marie provided some help for those having a hard time opening the pdf file.   “When the next page opens for the PDF, you have to click the blue words button book for the PDF to open”.  Thank you Ann Marie!!

All you need are 2″ buttons, some ribbon and the templates I’ve made for you. You can get 2″ buttons at almost any store that sells buttons or just unearth that …. um …. “vintage” coat from three decades ago.   You know the one.

Yep, those will work just fine. You really weren’t going to wear that again, were you?

I’ll get to the t-shirts, labyrinth, compass directions, olympics, zoo passports, sportsmanship activities, mud, explosions and all things boy.   I promise.

But, aren’t these just the cutest things?

Don’t judge. I can’t help myself.

Category: Button Day, Camp, Crafts and other Art Projects, What will we do today?
Tags: , ,

1. camila wilson | September 17, 2012 at 9:20 am | Reply

very cute, I agree.
    can’t get thebutton book template to download

• jill | September 17, 2012 at 11:58 am | Reply

Hmm. Sorry about the template. I’ll send it to you directly. I didn’t have a problem on this end, but will find another computer to jump on to and see what the problem might be. Sometimes, technology isn’t my friend.

Have fun making the books. Would love to see your finished products!! Share on the What Will We Do Today Facebook Fan Page if you have a chance!

Enjoy

2. Pingback: Girls Camp - Button Day

3. Pingback: Girls Camp - Button Day

4. Claire | November 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply

I love this idea but can’t seem to download the PDF. Please could you email me direct?
    Super cute. Going to use it with my class at school of thats ok with you?
    Claire

• jill | November 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply

Oh, I hope you enjoy. Let me know how it goes with class. I am emailing the pdf in a moment. Enjoy!!

5. Betty | December 1, 2012 at 8:35 am | Reply

Would love to have the template. Looks interesting.

• jill | December 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply

No problem. I know some people have had difficulty downloading….sigh… I hope you enjoy making these little books. I made a few, and find I have a hard time parting with them. Wonder what that says about me?

I’ll send the template through to your email.

Enjoy and be sure to share your success!!!

6. Barbara | December 7, 2012 at 4:29 am | Reply

I would love to do this but could you send me the template please?

• jill | December 7, 2012 at 7:30 am | Reply

Barbara, I am sending you the template via email. A number of people had a problem downloading, but I just can’t seem to find the fix. Good news….email works just fine!!! Enjoy and do share your books with us. You can easily share on my Facebook Fan Page (see the link in the upper right of the blog)

Merry Christmas!

7. Glad | January 20, 2013 at 6:09 am | Reply

Very fun…..can hardly wait to do this!! PDF did open.
    Thx so much:)

• jill | January 20, 2013 at 8:16 am | Reply

I’m so glad you are going to make some books. Be sure to share on Facebook (whatwillwedotoday). Have fun!!

8. Ann Marie | January 20, 2013 at 7:56 am | Reply

Fantastic idea. I will make these but use fabric scraps inside, so when I am going on vacation and find a new quilt shop, I will have the fabric scraps of quilts I am making but need more fabric for, or need fabric for a quilt back. I won’t loose the fabric scraps this way, and they will all be in one place all nice and neat! Thanks for the idea.

• jill | January 20, 2013 at 8:19 am | Reply

What a great idea! I’m not a quilter (but so admire anyone who is). I made a quilt about 40 years ago and somehow I lost my mojo!!. Love to see your quilt buttons when you are done.

9. Debbie Weiss | January 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply

Would love to make these darling button books for my grandsons…could you send me the pdf? Can’t seem to load it either. Thanks.

10. jill | January 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Reply

No problem. Not sure why some can load and others can’t and probably need to get a new brain to figure it out. In the meantime I will forward the pdf to you!! Sorry. Do share your finished project on whatwillwedotoday Facebook page

• Ann Marie | January 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply

When the next page opens for the PDF, you have to click the blue words button book for the PDF to open, it could be that they are not clicking the words. Might want to mention that up top where the first click for the file is.

• jill | January 22, 2013 at 6:09 am | Reply

You, my friend, are awesome. Thank you so much for the tip. I will be sure to include that in the instructions….and then figure out how to make it easier!!

Thanks again. Have a great day!

11. Sarah | May 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Reply

I am a senior citizen and teach a class of people in my age group. I would love to show them how to make the Button. Would it be possible to have you email me the directions on how to make them. They would love to give these “tiny wonders” as gifts.
    Sarah
    sarah.sarafa@gmail.com
    914 629-1882

• jill | May 20, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply

Oh, Sarah, I think that would be a wonderful idea. I will email the directions to your gamil account. I would love to see your finished projects. Have a great day!!!

12. cheryl robley | November 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Reply

These are so adorable I would love to make them with my son and his friends, would it be possible to receive the directions on how to do them. I would happily share our creations thank you :)

• jill | November 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Reply

Oh, I’m so glad. We’re kind of crazy about them over here too! I’ll send the directions to your email address. Please share when you are done. You can “like” the Whatwillwedotoday Facebook page and share your success there! Have fun. Jill

13. Roben-Marie Smith | December 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Reply

What a cute idea and I loved seeing how you used the Art Pops™ to create the one you sent me…very clever!! :)

• jill | December 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Reply

Thanks so much. I have to admit, I hadn’t seen the ArtPops before, but ran over to your site and took a look. Quite lovely!!