A Partridge in a Pear Brie

Today, I begin my own version of the 12 days of Christmas.  I struggled a bit trying to decide when to start my 12 days.  Technically, I think that the twelve days start on Christmas and continue through the eve of the Epiphany.

Unfortunately, that would give no one any time to “follow” the twelve days before Christmas.   I know you’ll forgive me for joining so many others in presenting my 12 days before Christmas.  My second decision was whether to start on the 12th  (ending on the 24th) or start on the 13th (ending on Christmas Day).  That decision was made easier as I went to bed before posting on the 12th.

We begin.

“A Partridge in a Pear Brie” Recipe

I had already made cranberry sauce for another recipe, but you can use canned whole berry cranberry sauce.   Not pictured, Monsieur Egg Yolk (he will appear later, in a cameo appearance).

Partridge Template.pdf

The attached pdf file has a template for the partridge in a pear tree.

Pear Brie

1st Day of Christmas

Ingredients

• 1/2 Pear - washed and cored (you may leave the peel on)
  • 1 Box Prepared pie shells (2 shells)
  • 8 oz Wheel of Brie
  • 1/3 cup Whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg

Egg wash

• 1 Egg yolk
  • 1 tsp water

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Slice washed and cored pear into thin slices.
  • I love slicing pears. I always feel so competent. I think I'll bask in that feeling for awhile (and eat some of the pear, perhaps).
  • On one of the pie shells, spread the cranberry sauce in a circle smaller than the wheel of brie.
  • Place pear slices over the cranberries. Be sure to completely cover the cranberries.
  • Grate nutmeg over the pear slices.
  • Oh, smell that nutmeg. I absolutely LOVE nutmeg.
  • Place brie on top of cranberry/pear mixture.
  • Gently fold pie crust over the brie and seal.
  • Turn wrapped brie over and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or grease pan).
  • You could stop here and not put the lattice on the brie. Once people start eating, no one will notice that this is rather....plain.
  • Cut 1/4 inch strips from other pie shell.
  • Lattice the strips over the crust covered brie.
  • If you really, really don't want to do the lattice (it's easier than you think) you might cut out some leaves from the dough and place the leaves on the ball (it will look a little like a pear tree).
  • Whisk egg yolk with 1 tsp water.
  • Gently brush egg wash over the brie.
  • If you don't want to brush an egg wash over the brie, that will be okay. I just like the sheen.
  • Place in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
  • Serve with crackers and enjoy.
  • Using template on provided file (Partridge Template.pdf), cut out partridge image, glue on to small barbecue stick and place in middle of cooked brie.

Category: Appetizers, Christmas, Cook, Create, Holidays and Entertaining
Tags: , , , , ,

1. Cindy Maechtle | December 14, 2012 at 6:04 am | Reply

Oh my goodness Jilly!! Where do you come up with this stuff??? I thought maybe it was going to be a pear with brie on it, but noooooooo, its so much more!!!! Looks really good!! Thanks!

• jill | December 14, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply

My first attempt was rather pitiful. It included reducing balsamic vinegar and lots of cosmetic surgery to the dough. I have to say, even I am impressed with the results of this one. Sometimes, simplicity is best (I will try to remember that)….

2. Susie Lobsiger Klatt | December 14, 2012 at 6:18 am | Reply

I think even I can do this one………….no lattice though, I think the leaf idea is more my speed. Looks soooo good. Love Ya

• jill | December 14, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply

You will love it, Susie. Try the lattice, though. It’s much easier than you might think……but if you do the leaves…share!!!

3. Pingback: Two Turtle Gloves | What Will We Do Today?

4. Chelsea | December 16, 2012 at 2:53 am | Reply

This looks great! I was wondering how well it keeps if not served immediately, I have a secret santa thing to do and my person really likes brie so I wanted to make this for one of the days.

• jill | December 16, 2012 at 7:37 am | Reply

Thanks, Chelsea. It really is wonderful. YOu should be able to keep this for a couple of days. I baked one and then served it two days later (warmed up in oven wrapped in tin foil at the beginning and then tin foil off to “crisp” up the crust a bit. You can normally freeze brie, but pears don’t freeze well, so I don’t think that would be a very good idea. Have fun with your secret santa. What fun.

5. Pingback: Three French Pens | What Will We Do Today?

6. Jill | December 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Reply

Partridge in a pear brie – awesome!!

• jill | December 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply

Thanks, Jill (love the name…)

7. Romayne | November 26, 2013 at 2:28 am | Reply

Hi, I am doing a evening with the 12 days of Christmas as my theme(appetizers) and was wondering how far ahead you can prepare this and let it sit before it needs to go in the oven? Could you make it the night before?
    Thanks!

8. Romayne | November 26, 2013 at 2:31 am | Reply

Thanks!
    PS any other ideas would be appreciated as I am also doing days 6 and 12.

• jill | November 26, 2013 at 8:14 am | Reply

What a great idea!! I can hardly wait to hear about the event (so do please share)… For the brie, I have made it the day before and then baked it just before everyone got there. I would let it sit out for a bit (1/2 hour) so it isn’t right out of the refrigerator cold. I’ve also made it ahead, cooked it and then reheated it. Not quite as good as the crust gets a little doughy….but good in a pinch (and really, once people begin to eat brie they don’t much care do they?).. As for six geese a laying….well you could do, perhaps, marbled eggs (after hard boiling, crack the shells a bit and let them sit in food colored water, then you peel the shells and it looks all marbly)….or you could do foie gras (I’ll bet if you used chicken livers no one would know the difference – ) or you could go the rhyming route and have 6 cheeses displaying (perhaps serve them on a chalk board with pictures of geese drawn on to help people get the drift….) For the 12th day – well that’s easy. Make chicken wings (just the drumette part) and you’re good to go. or you could make the oatmeal box drums (look on my 12th day for the easy directions) and fill it with caramel corn or some other munch able…..

I hope that helps. I’m thrilled that you are doing the partridge in a pear brie. It’s a favorite around here…and I make it so much now that it goes together pretty quick…

Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving (and Merry Christmas) Do share your success on our Facebook page….